As part of the formal assessment for the programme you are required to submit a Data
Handling and Decision Making essay. Please refer to your Student Handbook for full
details of the programme assessment scheme and general information on preparing and
After completing the module, you should be able to:
1) Analyse methods of auditing data holdings and gap identification.
2) Critically analyse theoretical and core processes of data manipulation and mining.
3) Utilise and evaluate basic statistical concepts.
4) Appreciate ethical issues and their importance to data handling and decision making.
5) Develop a practical ability with data analysis and data mining methods to analyse and
interpret data sets.
6) Make recommendations based upon the findings from data analysis.
7) Effective Communication: Communicate effectively both, verbally and in writing, using
a range of media widely used in relevant professional context.
Your assignment should include: a title page containing your student number, the module
name, the submission deadline and a word count; the appendices if relevant; and a
reference list in Arden University (AU) Harvard format. You should address all the elements
of the assignment task listed below. Please note that tutors will use the assessment criteria
set out below in assessing your work.
Essay on the audit of data environment and ethical considerations.
An audit of the data environment an organisation operates in represents a starting point in
developing a big data analytics framework, and as such, is a key part of data enabled
decision-making at all levels. This audit includes the following processes:
• Identification of major data sources and flows between the organisation and its
• Formulation of the improvement in data integrity as well as its storing, processing and
• Recommendations on compliance procedures, specifically, data protection, privacy and
The aim of this assignment is to conduct and report on an audit of the data environment in an
organisation of your choice.
NB: Organisation name, other business or stakeholder particulars and any personally
identifiable information can be fully anonymised.