Chiefs are like hibiscus bushes in the wind
- The saying “chiefs are like hibiscus bushes in the wind” (Nest in the Wind) means that
chiefs smell sweet like the hibiscus flower.
chiefs should be flexible and offer forgiveness for insults.
the position of the chief is highly valued, just like the hibiscus plant is.
the traditional role of the chief is fading in the face of modernization.
- Traditional justice in Albania called for
the accused to be shamed by the community.
a trial by ordeal to resolve the conflict.
a murder to be revenged through murder.
a local chief to decide on the innocence or guilt of the accused.
- Sutherland (The Case of the Gypsy Offender) argues that Gypsies hide their personal identity
as a way to combat persecution by members of the societies in which they live.
- Social control in small-scale societies is centered around
all of the above.
maintenance of social relationships.
the use of personalized mechanisms such as gossip or shunning.
- While there are many examples of women leaders in states, anthropologists have found no
examples of women leaders in other forms of political organization.
- In reaction to hurling insults at some high ranking men of Wene, Martha Ward (Nest in the
praised for behaving like a Pohnpeian woman.
fired from the research project.
strongly sanctioned by the islanders and her research partners.
- According to Sutherland (The Case of the Gypsy Offender), a young Gypsy man was indicted
by the government for
using a relative’s social security number.
hiding his identity from authorities.
refusing to eat jail food.
- Formal taxation most characterizes which form of political organization?
all of the above: all forms of political organization must be able to raise resources from
- The country of ____ imprisons more people than any other country in the
- The maintenance of a full-time, standing army is a characteristic of the form of political
organization known as the __ .
- Describe trial by ordeal and compare it with the court system/trial by jury. Provide examples
of each type of system from the film and/or readings in your answer.
- In contrast to laws that are formal and written, __ are unwritten and informal
understandings about proper behavior.
- Sutherland (in “The Case of the Gypsy Offender”) reports that for Gypsies, going to jail
is an especially cruel punishment because it separates them from their kin.
often provides needed time to recover from alcoholism.
is welcomed because they finally get enough to eat there.
is hard on them because they are targeted by other inmates as easy prey.
helps them learn English and skills that facilitate getting real jobs in American society.
- A band is a form of political organization associated with
- As described in Nest in the Wind, During Son Alpet’s funeral, the author
refuses to stay seated the entire time.
must leave to finish an interview.
insulted elders and jeopardized her fieldwork.
- In terms of traditional political organization, pastoralism is most associated with
a tribal or chiefdom model of political organization.
a state-level form of government.
no formal leadership.
- Moka is associated with which form of political organization?
- Influence refers to a way of gaining a desired end without the use of force.
- A big man’s leadership position depends on, among other factors, the productivity of his wife
- Cultural anthropologists who focus on revealing how legal systems discriminate against
certain groups are referred to as
all of the above.
critical legal anthropologists.
clinical legal anthropologists.
- In large-scale societies, punishment is often legitimized through supernatural forces and their
ability to affect people.