The assignment: nurses roles and responsibilities in promoting optimal health and wellness
- Choose an age group to focus your paper on.
- Your paper will only address that one age group, not across the lifespan.
- Choose ONE of the scenarios below:
- Young children with Type 1 Diabetes
- Bradly was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at 6 years old. His family is getting used to his new normal after being discharged from the hospital post diagnosis.
- Adult with Cellulitis
- Robert was working in his garage when he accidently cut his leg on his lawn mower blade. He is in acute care being treated for cellulitis.
- Older adult with Parkinson’s disease
- Edward was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease 4 months ago. He is adjusting to his new medications and modifications to activities of daily living (ADL’s).
This paper is not about the pathophysiology.
- Choose 2 to 3 foundational concepts that are going to be covered from the list below to explore the nursing roles and responsibilities in promoting health and wellness.
- Please use the list of roles and responsibilities below to explore the topic you chose which may fall into one of the following categories (there may be other categories, but these examples may be helpful in getting started)
Categories of Roles and Responsibilities
- Goal Setting
- Interventions, both individual and collaborative, and collaborations
- Advocacy positions
List of Concepts Covered To Choose From
- Sensory Perception
- Cellular Regulation
- Glucose Regulation
- Tissue Integrity
- Gas Exchange
- Mood & Affect
- Care Coordination
- You will then write about several examples within a category. For example, if you were concerned about young adults with obesity, you may wish to talk about the role of the nurse in promoting optimal nutrition through consults to an integrated multidisciplinary obesity clinic, or promoting positive body image by teaching mindfulness exercises focused on promoting positive self-talk. *this example is not to be used, it is only to help with understanding*
- In the above example, the age group was adults, the episodic / chronic illness was obesity, and the two foundational concepts explored were nutrition and body image, and the category of roles and responsibilities were interventions for both.
- An example of exploring the roles and responsibilities in the category of advocacy may be discussing how the seats in lecture halls are not suited to accommodate large body sizes and result in diminished body image and self-concept due to not being able to sit comfortably for class.
- In the above examples, I have only provided one action or intervention for each category. That was because these are just examples. In your paper, you will want to provide several actions the nurse can take in promoting health for each of the concepts you have chosen and provide some scholarly evidence supporting the actions they are taking.
- I hope you can see from these examples that the paper is not about the pathophysiology, but about the impact the pathophysiology has on a person’s health. Where do you find what the impacts on someone’s health might be from a certain pathophysiology? Glad you asked… this is where you need to do some review and reading. Use your textbooks, perform a literature search using the Library resources, etc. Potter and Perry textbook and Medical Surgical textbook is very good at providing this level of discussion of episodic and chronic illness, it is a good place to start.
- APA 7th edition throughout the document
- Word count – 1250 words
- Title Page: Note: Please use your name.
- Background related to the topic to provide a context for the reader
- Statement of aim/purpose of paper and how paper will unfold
- Thesis statement
- Body of Paper
- The main body of your paper should include discussion related to the scenario chosen. General statements are supported with specific details from scholarly sources that further your point. Paragraphs are crafted to support and extend your own ideas.
- Use professional literature to explore and support your ideas.
- Bring together what you have discussedas it relates to your thesis statement.
- Summarize key points and provide a concluding statement
- References maximum of 15 (Textbooks, peer journal review articles, academic journals, verified or health website – e.g. CNA- Canadian nursing association, CARNA, & Canada food guide)
- Peer reviewed articles and academic journals should be within the last five years
- Complete list of references for each source cited in your paper in APA style.