For this midterm you will write a college level research paper describing the psychological and behavioral factors of individual terrorists (i.e. recruits and suicide bombers; not terrorist leaders such as Bin Laden).
Note: you will address different radicalization processes/models in the final paper such as Moghaddam’s Staircase, so you only need to research and discuss individual psychological and behavioral factors in this paper. Also remember that “psychological” does not mean “psychotic” and we are only addressing those of sound mind who deliberately choose violence for a political purpose, or retribution or to instill fear (not crazy mass shooters).
- The body of your report is to be at least three FULL pages in length (not counting title page and references) and is to contain the following:
- A brief introduction, with the topic and your thesis
- A main body, containing the “meat” of the paper, where you provide the requested information supported by class readings and with your analysis
- A conclusion, summarizing your information clearly and concisely
Make sure you read the instructions carefully and that you focus your paper on answering the assigned questions. This assignment is a research paper, not an opinion paper, so you need to use scholarly sources to support your thesis. Make sure you use APA style in-text parenthetical citations at the end of every sentence where you are quoting another’s ideas (or any information) that is not your own thoughts and words, like this (Bergen, 2015, para. 14). Citations are required for paraphrases as well, but not the page or paragraph number in that case. I highly recommend you use the APUS writing guide which can be found in the university library or at this link: APUS Research Writing and Style Guide. You are welcome to use supplementary sources to compliment the assigned readings based upon your research, but make sure you use only scholarly and credible sources (do not use open websites and you never want to use wikipedia for a college level paper). Also, dictionaries and encyclopedias as well as general news sites (like CNN, FOX News) are not appropriate for college level research papers. Also, see the APUS Library Homeland Security Program Guide for good sources, as well as the APUS Research Primer and the APUS Library Research FAQs. For formatting, the best option is to use the attached example paper as a template (for formatting purposes only).
- Written according to the APA style and format (parenthetical in-text citation formats only; not end notes or footnotes);
- Use Times New Roman 12 point font;
- 1 inch margins on all sides with no paragraph indentation other than the first line by .5 inches
- – The body of your report is to be at least three FULL pages in length (not counting title page and references) and is to contain the following:
– A brief introduction, with the topic and your thesis
– A main body, containing the “meat” of the paper, where you provide the requested information supported by class readings and with your analysis
– A conclusion, summarizing your information clearly and concisely
- Double space all text (no extra lines or spaces after a paragraph or section headings and no added font sizes or lines either)
- A respectable number of credible resources used, cited in the paper as in-text citations, and included on the reference page. A good rule of thumb is at least 2 scholarly sources per page of content (a minimum of 2 new scholarly sources per page in a research paper is acceptable). Use those academic and credible sources provided to you throughout the course, as well as other scholarly material obtained from conducting your own research. Freely utilize appropriate and reputable academic sources, summarize in your own words and cite accordingly.
- The paper must be free of typographical, spelling and grammatical errors (make sure to proof read before submission)
- Turn your paper in as a Word Document and title your assignment “Lastname_Midterm“