-Define organizational behaviour and briefly explain its importance.
Task A: Hewlett- Packard (LO1 & LO2)
P1/M1-Critically analyse how HP’s culture, politics and power would or have influenced the behaviour of individuals or teams in the organisation.
Note: To get a higher grade (merit) you need to provide critical analysis; however, if you provide just analysis you will get a pass only.
- Critically analyse in-depth how HP culture, politics and power would affect or have affected the behaviour of individuals and teams in the organisation.
- Here you need first to provide a brief overview of HP culture, politics and power, and,
- then do the in-depth analysis where you need to consider the effect of culture, politics and power on organisational performance, job satisfaction, employee development, employee motivation, innovation, quality of work etc. of individuals and teams.
P2–Evaluate how Maslow’s or Herzberg’s content theory and Vroom’s process theory of motivational techniques enable effective achievement of goals in HP.
- Briefly discuss Maslow or Herzberg’s content theories (concepts and model) and evaluate its usefulness (advantages and limitations) in achieving the goals or objectives of HP.
- Briefly discuss Vroom’s expectancy theory of process (concepts and model), and evaluate its usefulness (advantages and limitations) in achieving the goals or objectives of HP.
Notes: Evaluation: means advantages and limitation, and you MUST add your own conclusion/point of view.
Goals and objectives: includes motivating staff to increase profit, growth, market share etc.
M2– Critically evaluate how to influence the behaviour of others through the effective application of behavioural motivational theories, concepts and models.
- Explain concepts and models of behavioural motivational theories (Reinforcement Theory and the Equity Theory).
- Assess in detail how behavioural motivational theories are used to influence the behaviour of individuals and teams in HP. Support you answer with examples.
Here you are required to assess their positive and negative effects and you MUST provide own conclusions.
Note: Behaviouristic approach examines how motives are learned and how internal drives and external goals interact with learning to produce behaviour.
D1–Critically evaluate the relationship between culture, politics, power and motivation that enables teams and organisations to succeed, providing justified recommendations. You MUST support your points with examples from the given organisation.
- Discuss the link between culture, politics, power and motivation, and
- Evaluate how they (culture, politics, power and motivation) can be effectively combined to bring success to a team.
- Support your answer with strong points and examples in relation to the given organisation HP.
Task B: IBM (LO3 & LO4)
P3-Explain what makes an effective team as opposed (compared) to an ineffective team in an organisation.
- Define team and virtual team.
- Explain what would make it impossible or possible for teams in company like IBM to achieve their objectives. Here you need to provide at least 4 points on effectiveness and 4 points on ineffectiveness. You have to draw examples from the case above (IBM) to support your answers.
M3-Analyse relevant team and group development theories to support the development of dynamic cooperation.
- Analyse how Tuckman and Belbin’s theories can be used to build strong teams that enables the development of dynamic cooperation.
- Using IBM as an example, explain how the application of the two theories (Tuckman and Belbin’s) can help build the company strong and effective teams.
P4– Apply concepts and philosophies of organisational behaviour within an organisational context and a given business situation.
- Define at least two of these concepts of organisational behaviour (Path goal theory, Social capital theory, and Contingency theory), and
- Apply it (the two chosen concepts and philosophies of organisational behaviour) to IBM by explaining how or in which way they can be used to improve performance and productivity in IBM.
M4– Explore and evaluate how concepts and philosophies of Organizational Behaviour inform and influence behaviour in both a positive and negative way.
Here you need to inquire and evaluate how Path goal theory, Social capital theory and Contingency theory inform and influence behaviour in both a positive andnegative way.
D2– Critically analyse and evaluate the relevance of team development theories in context of organisational behaviour concepts and philosophies that influence behaviour in the work place.
Critically analyse and assess in-depth the importance of Belbin and Tuckman’s team development theories in relation to influencing behaviours in IBM which is your given case study. In doing so,include the positive and negative side of the theories in influencing behaviours within IBM.
Provide a general brief conclusion to your findings in both Task 1 and Task 2
List of References
(Using Harvard Referencing Style). A list must be provided in addition to having adequate and relevant in-text references within the report