Discussion 1: treating patients with respect is not enough
This week, you will prepare for your ethical and cultural inquiry. Consider how culture can impact healthcare decisions and outcomes. Read the following article from the Western Journal of Medicine: Galanti G. A. (2000). An introduction to cultural differences. The Western Journal of Medicine, 172(5), 335–336. doi:10.1136/ewjm.172.5.335
Discuss the following:
1. Do you agree with the writer’s premise that treating patients with respect is not enough, and it is necessary to learn about the specific customs of other cultures in order to provide quality health care? Explain your reasoning and provide examples.
2. Do you think there is a danger in stereotyping when discussing cultural norms? Explain and provide examples.
3. Which cultures and customs are you most familiar with?
4. Does culture play a significant role in the healthcare issue that you are researching? Explain.
D. D. is a 66 year-old female suffering from shortness of breath. She smoked 2 packs a day until she quit 2 years ago. She has a history of bronchiolitis, hyperinflated lungs, pulmonary edema, and syncope. Her primary care practitioner suspects she also has pulmonary hypertension (PH). After examination, D. D. has a PAP of 35mmHg and mild CHF.
Citing scholarly resources, answer the following questions:
- What is pulmonary hypertension and how could D. D. have developed PH?
- How does her history fit in with her new diagnosis?
In addition to the two questions above, select ONE other question from the list below to complete your discussion post. Be sure to cite the sources of your information and clearly identify which supplemental question you chose to answer.
- How many patients are suffering from COPD in the United States? Do COPD sufferers die of respiratory causes or other causes? (Be sure to cite the data.)
- What two separate diseases are the main COPD diseases? Give background on each disease.
- How does COPD correlate with left ventricular pressure and primary heart failure?
- What are the three types of bronchodilators, and how do they function to alleviate the symptoms of COPD? What are other possible treatments for COPD?
- Through which mechanism does bronchiolitis cause destruction of alveoli? Is emphysema genetic? Can environmental factors increase the risk of emphysema? Why or why not?
- Is lung transplantation a solution for emphysema? Can new technology be useful in the treatment of emphysema? Why or why not?