- What specialty had the least duration of waittimes? Note that you may need to edit your
dashboard view to extend the number of decimal places on the appropriate field to find the lowest
value for this measure.
- What was the average wait time for Pain Management patients in December of 2008- 2009?
- What is the average wait time for plastic surgery patient’s ages 19 -30?
- What was the average wait time for day case admission in October of 2009 –2010
- How many oral surgery patients were white during September 2009- 2010?
- What was the average length of stay for a patient in neurology, both elective and nonelective in August 2009 – 2010?
- What was the average length of stay for patients in the 81 to 95 age group in August
2008 – 2009?
- What specialty has an average length of stay of 10.22 days?
- For age group 0 – 12, what is the average length ofstay?
- How many spells did emergency pediatrics have from 2007 – 2010?
DAT 530 Hospital Activity Guidelines and Rubric
Overview: There are a variety of tools available today for creating data visualizations. Choosing the right tool is a crucial step in designing relevant visualizations
that help tell the story that the data holds for the audience. In this course, students are exposed to several tools. In this assignment, students will use one of
these tools—QlikView—and complete exercises to become more familiar with the tool’s capabilities.
Prompt: Develop the dashboard for the Hospital Activity by following a step-by-step guide.
- Follow the instructions in Module One to set up QlikView.
- Access the Qlik tutorial using your web browser: Build Your First QlikView. If you need an orientation to the program, review the other tutorials on the
- Open the Dashboard Guide—Hospital Activity document (in the Assignment Guidelines and Rubrics folder).
- Follow each step listed on pages 3–13.
- Save your completed QlikView Dashboard project for further reference.
- Review the Exercise questions 1–10 on page 16 of the Dashboard Guide—Hospital Activity document. Answer all of the questions as part of your analysis
of the results.
- Write a 1- to 2-page report on your opinion of the QlikView tool. The answers in your report should communicate your analysis of tool assessment to
your manager. The report should include the following sections and corresponding criteria:
o Data Visualization Tool Usage
This should include your opinion of ease of use, intuitiveness, and general thoughts for how it could be used in the organization.
Additionally include a comparison of QlikView and Google Public Data, which you used in Module One, in terms of ease of use, flexibility,
and the strengths and weaknesses of each visualization tool.
o Exercise Results
Answer the exercise questions 1–10 on page 14 of the Dashboard Guide—Hospital Activity document.
Using the experience gained and specific results produced from the Hospital Dashboard you created, briefly explain how the resulting
data can be used by different users for information. Include screenshots of the dashboard results to support your position.
Guidelines for Submission: In Microsoft Word, submit your written report for both of the critical elements: Data Visualization Tool Usage and Exercise
Critical Elements Exemplary (100%) Proficient (90%) Needs Improvement (70%) Not Evident (0%) Value
Meets “Proficient” criteria, and
the technical assessment
includes additional discussion
and comparatives to a third
Demonstrates knowledge of
QlikView and provides a
technical assessment of
QlikView including a
comparative Google Public Data
The technical assessment of
QlikView and comparative
Google Public Data tool writeup did not fully demonstrate
knowledge of the tools
Submission was not posted or
did not contain the technical
Exercise Results Meets “Proficient” criteria, and
answers to all 10 questions are
The submission includes
thoughtful and supported
opinions of QlikView dashboard
analysis with supporting
screenshots and answers to the
The QlikView analysis was
included but does not express
results usage effectively, or the
questions are answered, but
the majority of answers are
Submission does not include
answers to the questions or the