At the end of this assignment you will find the text of the 1850 Fugitive Slave Act. Read through the Act and chapter 10 of your textbook, and then consider the following questions:
1) Why was the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 created?
2) Suppose an escaped slave should flee from his or her state to a Territory, which was not a state. Could this be a way for the slave to escape his or her master successfully? Please explain your answer.
3) How could an escaped slave and someone opposed to slavery manage to subvert the Act?
4) Consider the Fugitive Slave Law in the context of the time in which it was created.
Do you thing this Act was good or bad for the United States? Please explain. Now, write a paper of no less than 1,000 words total that addresses each of the questions (NOT 1,000 words per question – the entire paper must be at least 1,000 words).
*** Be sure to draw upon and restrict your research to each of the following sources: the textbook the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 Citation guidelines: Citations need to be provided after every paragraph in which you address information given in one of the sources. While no quotes will be permitted for this assignment, you still need to provide citations whenever you refer to information located in either the newspaper or in the textbook. > for material taken from the textbook, simply write: (textbook, p. ___),
filling in the page > for material taken from Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, simply write: (Act, p. ___) filling in the appropriate paragraph number GUIDELINES 1. Answer ALL of the questions — this assignment carries four.
2. Do NOT quote anything — I am interested only in what YOU have to say. Everything must be in your own words. Do not re-write anything from the textbook, from the Internet, from the narrative, or from this assignment. 3. Check your spelling AND edit your paper. Please note that spell-checking is NOT the same as editing.
4. TYPE your final submission. Use one inch (1″) margins, double spacing, and 10- or 12-point font. Please use a standard font that is easy to read, such as Times Roman, Arial, or Courier.. Use portrait alignment, NOT landscape alignment.
5. Required length is a minimum of 1,000 words. If your completed assignment is only a fraction of the required minimum, you will receive a fraction of the grade you would have received had the assignment been the required length.
6. Additional Requirements: > use complete sentences > use scholarly prose — “text message format” is not allowed, you are writing formal college papers, not text messages. That means > no contractions > use consistent verb tenses > paragraphs are nice things–use them (remember, it takes at least three
(3) sentences to make a paragraph) > when referring to a decade or a century, use the following: 1800s, 1920s Fugitive slave act 1850 was successfully processed and we are ready to assign one of our proficient writers to work on your assignment. SHOW LESS